Get to know the folks at Lehman’s. Each month we’re featuring a different employee and asking him or her a few quick questions. First up is Roger – he is one of the many helpful folks at our store that has a vast knowledge of many homesteading skills.
1. What is your position at Lehman’s and how long have you worked here?
I’m the Visitor Support/Stocker. Basically, I take care of the customers at the store. I’ve worked here for about 11 years.
2. What is your favorite Lehman’s product and why?
Cast iron cookware since I cook with cast iron all the time. I cook eggs and bacon in a skillet every morning. Every now and then I make cinnamon rolls in a skillet and put them in an oven. My wife always likes me to make them.
3. What homesteading or Lehman’s skill do you do outside of work?
- Making goat’s milk soap
- Raising goats (I currently have 12 goats)
- Food preservation – mostly canning and freezing, a little bit of drying.
- Making butter, yogurt and bread (I love to bake bread!)
- And more
4. What is your favorite season and why?
Spring and fall. In the spring, I plant my garden. In the fall, I cut wood (since I heat my home with wood).
5. What is your favorite motto or personal mantra?
I have two. My dad instilled in me “if you want to try something, you’ll never learn younger.” The other one comes from working at Lehman’s: “I can’t travel now, but the world comes to see me.”
6. What advice do you have for people who are installing a water pump?