We've tasted this ham ourselves and were pleasantly surprised by how good it tasted. It may not be quite like fresh, out-of-the-oven ham, but it will give you a sustaining meal that tastes even better when you're in a pinch. It's very easy to prepare, too. No cooking, just soak in water and drain.
1. Remove and discard desiccants and oxygen absorbers
2. Rehydrate for 15 minutes in water
3. Remove access fluid
Once opened, they will last:
- Up to 1 year in a zipper locking bag with refrigeration once opened, but not rehydrated
- Up to 60 days in a zipper locking bag without refrigeration once opened, but not rehydrated
- Up to 5 days in the refrigerator once they're rehydrated
When will your freeze-dried food expire?
The manufacturer guarantees the minimum shelf life of 25 years from when the food was made. To find the production date, look at the label on the can. The production date code on the can could be something like this:
1288 b6 46
The 1288 is the actual date code in Julian format (the 288th day of 2021, which was October 15th, 2021). For example, 0201 would mean 201st day of 2020, 9012 would mean 12th day of 2019; 8067 would mean 67th day of 2018, etc. 25 years from this date gives you the minimum of how long it will last.
Note: Since it is a long-term storage, the shelf life will depend on the conditions under which you store the food.